A Storied History
June 23rd 1946
Established by Bishop Haas of Grand Rapids, with the appointment of Fr. Charles Brophy as Pastor.
June 26th 1946
First Mass offered in Town Hall by Fr. A.J. LeRoux.
New Church designed by Alden Dow in Longhouse style dedicated.
Fr. Brophy suggest that a large wooden Cross be erected as the focal point of an outdoor Church.
A large redwood tree is cut down in the mountains of Oregon to be later fashioned into the new Cross.
The Marist Fathers assume leadership of the Parish and Shrine.
August 5th 1954
The Cross is erected on Calvary Hill.
Outdoor altar and Holy Stairs are blessed by Bishop Babcock.
Life size marble statue of Our Lady of the Highway blessed and placed in the center lawn of the Shrine near the highway.
Bronze corpus designed by Marshall Fredericks is attached to the Cross, formal dedication is August 16.
Diocese of Grand Rapids again assumes leadership of the Shrine and Parish.
1961 - 1964
Extensive building projects are undertaken including: new outdoor restrooms, gift shop, rectory addition, church addition, outdoor granite altar and ambo, parking lot and parish cemetery were added.
Wally and Sally Rogalski of Saginaw donate their collection of dolls dressed in religious garb to create the new Doll Museum.
New life size wooden statue of Kateri Tekakwitha blessed.
Gaylord Diocese is formed.
New Family Center built and dedicated.
Name changed from Indian River Catholic Shrine to Cross In The Woods.
1986 - 1987
Complete renovation of Shrine grounds, Hall of Saints, Resurrection Garden, and St. Peregrine statue added.
Franciscan Friars assume leadership of Shrine and Parish.
Restoration of the Cross and Corpus.
Statue of St. Francis of Assisi, and Shrine of St. Peregrine added.
50th anniversary of Parish and groundbreaking for new Church.
June 29th 1997
New Church dedicated.
Gift Shop addition completed.
New Bronze Kateri Tekakwitha statue blessed.
Death of Fr. Donard Paulus, OFM, first Franciscan pastor at Cross in the Woods.
Completion of Phase One of Cross Restoration.
Addition of Fr. Michael McGivney Memorial.